Saturday, December 5, 2009

Original Records From Familysearch.org Pilot Site



I'm not sure if you are familiar with the web site the commentator mentions in this video or not, but I just tried it and it worked like a charm for me. I went to the website, Familysearch.org and went to the page he described, Family Search - Record Search using the same path outlined in the video, and easily found my great-great-grandfather in the 1892 New York Census records, and surprise! his 79-year-old mother-in-law was living with his family along with a couple of his grandchildren that I didn't know about before.

I'm doing searches for some other elusive relatives and they're turning up too! I don't think that this tool will allow searches beyond the 1900 census, but it is obviously a work in progress. Take a shot at finding your ancestors using this tool and you may dig up a census record or two for that elusive great-aunt or wayward great-great uncle. All I know is that I'm going to spend a lot of time playing with this web page and hopefully find some more genealogy leads.

No comments: